Saturday, January 20, 2007

taking the valleys with the mountain tops

I guess I have been on a spiritual mountain of some kind for almost a year and a half now. I don't mean that kind of fire that you get right after summer camp that fizzles out after a few weeks. I am talking about being blessed with a hunger and thirst for more of Christ almost every day for a consistant amount of time. Looking back, I enjoyed that time so much. There is no greater joy than to know that you matter to the Creator of the universe. Even more than that, having the true desire to look into God's Word and lift up your petitions to Him brings about a deep sense of fulfillment. Unfortunately, we cannot always live on the mountain tops. This is where I am at right now, in a bit of a valley.

I am not really depressed or anything like that because I still have hope. This hope is the only thing that keeps me going from day to day. I have a hope for a better future. More importantly, I have a hope that this valley will bring about my growth in the Lord. How many times was I unfaithful and God was never shaken? He continued to bless me with an excitement to go through the day and I would still choose to sin. Each morning, I was renewed. What a blessing that is! Praise God for His unconditional love.

So, how do I take this point in my life where God has not forsaken me, but has withdrawn the great feelings that I had every morning. This does not scare me, but it pushes me. I must remain faithful to my God even though I may not always feel like it. I don't have to fake my feelings or pretend that I am worshipping Him. Really, I believe I am called to pursue what I once had. Even more than that, I must pray for the desire to pursue because I really feel like even seeking Him. I think that we look at these valleys from the wrong perspective. If we are completely honest, we DON'T feel like seeking the Lord. This is okay because our faith is not based upon feelings. We have made a committment to following Christ. As it is within marriage, you must remain faithful to your wife even when you don't feel like it. Praying for the right heart that wants to pursue is not wrong. God knows our true heart, and he will meet us on the elementary levels that we are at. Beginning at wanting to want God seems so basic, but if we are not honest about our feelings, then we will never find the satisfaction of our truest needs.

This is where I am at. Do not be afraid when the feelings for God go. He has not left. He wants to see us return to Him. I believe He wants to see His children seeking Him. Just like any father would want to see his child looking for him, we need to pursue our Heavenly Father and display our love for His nearness. It is only within the arms of our God that we can truly feel safe. Matthew 28:20 "...And surely I am with you ALWAYS, to the very end of the age" (emphasis mine)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

-Humbleness acknowledges a continuous upward journey, via valleys and plateaus, but ever upward - plateaus allow for moments of rest and reflection but the real journey takes place in the valleys - leaning on and learning from the Lord's strength and silence - learning from other Christians who have previously traversed the same path - the summit is heaven - unattainable on earth - but the pure desire of every Christian heart - a long time on the plateau? - no testing of the saint's heart? - no challenge to the strength of devotion in trial? - no temptations? - or have they become assimilated and accepted as a norm?

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home