Monday, January 11, 2010

My recent days post-college have been wonderfully uneventful. Maybe a better way of putting it would be that no grandiose plans for my life have been pounding me in the back of my head, urging me to not to waste time. The fact of the matter is, the last four years of my life just blew by me. I don't live in my own room on the second floor of a big brick house in a quiet, small-town neighborhood. I now share a one bedroom apartment above an Irish pub in a gentrified, middle-class, northern neighborhood of the third largest city in America.

I do not have papers to write or chapel to attend. I serve schnitzels and beer a couple of times per week and then go to a Presbyterian church on Sundays, often followed by brunch with my girlfriend. My routine no longer includes lectures and dorm life, rather mandolin lessons and swagbucks. Oh yeah, I also do crossword puzzles now as well.

I have an entire future ahead of me. Yet, I am not sure if my future includes years or days. It wouldn't be particularly glorious to keel over at this point, at least thinking of my global impact. I have accomplished a degree, but what else? Nevertheless, the opportunity to spend five or more days alone in the last week and a half have brought me peace, not anxiety, gratefully. I am learning to value the day-to-day. I know there will be mile markers, but if I look for those only, I will miss the small things that give the big things their potency.

I just pray for the ability to move and the drive to value movement. And with the opportunity to do whatever I want right now, I'd like to start doing those little things I always thought might be fun, and be thankful if I am actually granted the means to do so. Otherwise, I'm sure there are details hidden in what I have come to see as familiar that will continually remind me that there is always something to further explore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home