Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Winter

Chicago freezes over tonight. An interesting mixture of rain and ice has covered everything, ensuring tomorrow's commute to be exponentially more exciting for most. The mild weather over the past few days made me think that winter might be headed for the door and spring might come early. I didn't bother to check on the date of Groundhog day, but I think they say winter sticks around for at least six weeks after. Nevertheless, tonight confirms that winter is here to stay as long as she so desires, not to be pushed around or intimidated by anyone.

Though I find this time of year to be most laborsome in terms of mental clarity and all around motivation, I am coming to be grateful for the fact that seasons do exist. There is a particular anticipation that is built up during these short days, one that consists of miniature letdowns. I know that spring is equated with late March and April onward. But, some part of me hopes that this year will be the exception. I guess the absence of a planetary realignment shouldn't really disappoint me.

A sleep of sorts is put over nature right now. The sun opens up every so often as if to remind us that the created order is fully aware of what is happening...rebuilding, renewing, refreshing. The snow and ice slows us down, helping us remember that life does not bloom at our beck and call. And when those days come where the clouds part for a number of hours, and the sun cracks its eye to see how we are doing, I want to soak it up and be thankful that life continues to flow within me.

Something unique happens when, in the midst of dreariness, a portion of happiness shines through. The good in life tastes a little richer, or so it seems to me. I caught the eyes of a homeless woman the other day while she bestowed God's blessing upon me, the first eyes of a stranger I have bothered to look for in quite some time. Maybe it was that no cloud existed in the cold sky, but her eyes spoke brightly. And it is those moments that help me appreciate winter. I also saw my first bowl-cut in 5 years on a junior higher the other weekend, and that helped me appreciate winter too.

But seriously, I have a warm place to sit now while the sleet comes down and for that, and for many other things during this season, I give thanks. It is more than I was ever promised.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Moeller (Moellerd) said...

This was fantastic. It is nice to be reminded of the difference between circumstance and perspective.
Thanks for your wonderful thoughts bro! I'm also especially excited for the return of the bowl-cut! Go 90s!

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home