Sunday, July 04, 2010

Does this world continue to decompose and thus doom us to searching the earth for what has been untainted?

This is the question that arose in my mind as I listened to Jack explain why he could never marry a woman in the United States. 'I have nothing in common with America. There are just no good examples of Christian women that I have found.'

I bristled at his comments, though I said nothing and attempted to listen to his whole reasoning. After he had finished what seemed more of a definitive declaration than a conversation starter, I was prompted to unpack his generalized comments and find hope where he seemed to throw in the towel.

From the start, we were on differing sides of the issue due to the fact that I have been with an American girl for about two and a half years. And, I have found in her what I believe to be sure evidences of Christ's love. Yet, the issue was deeper for Jack than finding a good woman. Jack's belief in total depravity seemed to suck sanctification out of the earthly realm. Thus, evil enters and poisons earth and its institutions exponentially with no upturn. Government systems, relationships, the environment, and entertainment are all pointers to a screwed up world.

Where I do not wholeheartedly disagree with the influence of brokenness upon all of creation, I do believe that a fundamental change occurred when Christ came. It seems logical to assume that when relationship with God was severed in the garden, an insatiable darkness entered the world. Yet, Christ entered a dark (and ever-darkening?) world as light itself. That light was brought to mankind in the most accessible form possible: fellow mankind. Is it ridiculous to assume that, as the light of Christ dwells and multiplies within mankind, that the earth is continually looking more like the Kingdom of Light?

Sure, the earth's government, environment, societal systems are broken and appear to be degrading. But, where then is the perfect? Must we travel to untouched jungles find the least screwed up nature? Must we visit the most unreached people to find the least screwed up humanity? Do we flee the darkness and pray for the damnation of those who walk in it? Or, do we enter the darkness, not as crusaders of light, but as those who live, believe, and speak the presence of Christ as hope and healing?

I do not think it is ignorant to say that today earth is more sanctified than when Christ came. It is hard to believe this when so much appears to be wrong with creation. But, ever-expanding hope for change and involvement in new life has to be a better option than acceptance of evil and retreat. I pray that my life proves me believing of my own words and not naive to reality. Yet, Christ didn't say, 'Hunker down and brace yourself for Armageddon' when he left earth. No, He said, 'Go into the world, and I will be with you always.' It is in those words that I see undeniable hope. I can live with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home