Monday, March 12, 2007

Letting Go


My life takes continuous curves and turns that I do not forsee. Many of these changes are good in the sense that any person might define. However, I have found it dumbfounding that I can see good in the worst of situations. Every part of me wants to deny the possibility hope, but I am utterly consumed by the promises of God. I simply cannot slough off the truth of God's Word.
I have lost my best friend. My brother is lost. He is not dead in the physical sense, but is dying spiritually. This may lead to physical death, but for now, his life is being sustained. Now, if there is one thing I value in my relationships, it is the spiritual condition of their heart. If I lose a friend in their physical body yet know that their spirit was alive and is now experiencing eternity, I have no reason to dispair. But this is not the case with my brother. My brother is gone.
I will not stop praying for him. I know that the Lord can lift him out of the pit at any moment. However, there is no desire for help within his heart.
He does not realize what he is doing. He is consumed with self-centeredness. This makes friendship hard as well as love. I am letting go. I am not giving up hope, but I must let go. This is the most loving thing I can do. Disagree if you want, but I love him so much that I must stop. If I don't, then loving turns into enabling.
I did not realize how much pain letting go entails. I think we think of pursuing love as the hardest. I have realized that it is really TRUE love that is the hardest. It consists of both a time of pursuit and a time of letting go.
I am not letting go because I have been used too many times. I am not letting go because I have been lied to so many times. I am not letting go because I will not be taken the fool once again. Letting go as the result of these reasons would mean that I value my pride too much to continue. I don't deserve any kind treatment. This world is fallen because of my sin. I am fully deserving of being made the fool until the day of my death. No, I am letting go because Christ commands us to in His Word.

1 Corinthians 5:5 "hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord.

This text in 1 Corinthians 5 talks about expelling the immoral brother. The key word here is brother. Paul is writing about a brother in the church, in the body of Christ. I am handing my brother over to Satan so that he will hit the bottom and realize that it is only the Lord that sustains him. I am doing this so that his spirit may be saved. I stand on the promise of God. I am not ashamed of my decision. I will stand firm. I do not enjoy doing this, but I take the peace of the Lord with me as I trust that His will be done. I pray for utter dispair and emptiness as he wallows in his sin. I pray this with the hope that he finds the hope and fulfillment that is only in the name of Jesus Christ.

I love you brother

1 Comments:

Blogger Kimberlee said...

put simply: God has a plan. whether we can fully see the bigger picture or not, He still has him wrapped in His arms. we will all keep loving on him, though.

it's easy to forget one of the simplest commandments-forgiveness. as hard as it is, we must always be ready and willing to forgive him for what he's done and not to grow bitter towards his actions. even when he doesn't ask for forgiveness, we must forgive.

compassion.

i just listened to a sermon by andy stanley about temptation. it was good and i can see the same patterns in his life. i only listened to part 1 of 4 but seriously, i learned a lot.

what makes his sin so much "bigger" and "worse" than ours? nothing.

that was a very random train of thoughts but in my head, they all fit. sorry.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home