Thursday, April 05, 2007

Good Friday



Well, tomorrow is Good Friday. It's just another day. A day to wake up late, to keep myself occupied, to log a few hours in at work, to go to church, and to hang with friends. This is the mindset that I so often have. The only good thing about this particular Friday is that it allows me to relax from class and kick off a fun weekend.

I am convicted in my heart that if I do not weep and mourn the death of Christ, then I do not fully realize or appreciate the sacrifice. The sin that I so desperately hold on to is the very sin that poisoned the hearts of those who crowned Him with thorns. My sin is the hatred that caused the onlookers to spit in the face of their Maker. My sin is the pride that laughed as the whip dug deep and ripped wide open the flesh of the Lamb. My sin is the ignorance in the heart of the soldiers who pounded sharpened iron through the wrists of the King. My sin held Him there. My sin burst His heart when the dispair of isolation came upon the Savior. It was my sin.

There is nothing good about what I did. So, why am I so focused on myself on this day? I dare not call it good if I do not meditate on the only One who is good. I can only call this day good when I realize my wickedness. I am nothing and Christ is everything. What a blessing that I can now love the very God whom I nailed to that cursed tree. I do not deserve it. I am not good. He is good, His sacrifice was good, His forgiveness is good, and this day is good only because He has brought it.

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it"

Amen

1 Comments:

Blogger William Van Kirk said...

Great insight Jeff.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home