Monday, April 16, 2007

Mission Journal Day 6



After a long 10 hour night's sleep, I got up from my mostly comfortable bed and tried to shower. It ended up that I couldn't figure out the shower so I took my first bath in a year in China. I went to the hotel restaurant for breakfast where they had many America/Chinese dishes. I enjoyed the funky meal and was full by the end.

Peter, Craig, and Rosie then took us through their apartment, Craig and Roxie's that is, and to our surprise, they had a fantastic little place. The whole building looked rundown, but their place was very nice. We then walked through the streets to observe Hoi Ping life. Walking around was incredible. We first went into the wet market where tons of animals were kept to be slaughtered fresh. Tons of fish, birds, frogs, turtles, shrimp, muscles, crabs, and others were ripe for the killing.

After that stinky and bloody experience, we went to the general supermarket which rivaled a Sullivans or Thompsons. It was very nice. Jason began his exciting day of being hit on by the Chinese girls. They loooooved him! It was hilarious.

We continued to walk around all the hundreds of little shops. We walked by some caged dogs ready to be killed. I was very shocked/sobered/saddened, but understanding that this is life here in China. We finished the walk with Jay and Marla both buying fake Rolex watches.

We ate lunch at KFC and then headed to the high school to help with english. Drew, Jason, Mika, Craig, Roxie, and I were paraded in front of the class and where we told a little about ourselves. Our comments were responded with ooooh's ahhhh's and clapping. We then broke up into 6 groups and spoke with the students in smaller groups.

This was great! The kids gave me gifts of food and we exchanged questions back and forth. My heart began to connect. I began to love the youth at this point. I got to see the hearts of this people where I did not in Hong Kong. After classes, everyone wanted to take pictures with us. The girls loved us guys and all wanted pictures. We felt like celebrities.

However, I was moved by all of this. I loved interacting with them. We had dinner afterwards at a traditional Chinese restaurant. We invited three of the school teachers and Peter. Peter and I spoke of many things, but I soon learned of his struggles to be what he wants; a Greek teacher. My heart is burdened to pray for him to achieve his dreams.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home