Monday, April 16, 2007

Mission Journal Day 5



We woke up extremo early today because we had to leave the seminary at 6:30 am. After a long and speedy trip to the boat dock, we had some breakfast at McDonalds. We got on our boat at 8:30 and left for Hoi Ping. The trip was to take 4 hours. I took a little drammamine because I thought for sure I would lose it on the boat. I have been experiencing slight vertigo as we are constantly traveling by some mass transit. I have dizzy spells now and again.

After a real light lunch on the boat, we landed in mainland China. The port was guarded by Chinese men in green uniforms. I tried to sneak a picture but was reprimanded. This was the first time I have felt tension with any government official/public "safety". I must say, I was thrilled that I had nothing to hide and so had confidence amidst the seemingly gruff attempt to intimidate me.

When we got through customs, we met Roxie and Craig who are missionaries with Doug and Jen in Hoi Ping. They recently moved to HP, but had spent some time in Hong Kong after leaving L.A. We rode in a bus provided by the Ever Joint Hotel through the anti-traffic controlled city. Looking around, I soon realized that the Kong had gone and we were now in the real deal: dusty, dirty, run-down.

I will say that I was truly hoping that we weren't staying in any place like the buildings I saw. To my delight, yet strangely enough to my embarassment as well, we pulled into the turnabout in front of a 30 plus story hotel that rose high and mighty above the dusty 6 story apartments below. The hotel is beautiful. The beds, however, are no softer than box springs. Thankfully, we had thin pads put on our beds to soften the blow to our backs.

The afternoon was spent exploring the pool, spa, billiards room, table tennis room, and bowling alley. For dinner, we met with some pastors of the local church, one being named Peter, the secretary from Soaring Glory named Jancy, and a sunday school/ kindergarten teacher named Jane. We ate a great Chinese meal with Peter Jane and Jancy. Roughly three hours were spent talking, eating, and getting to know one another better.

It was with Peter that I began to once again grow to love these beautiful people. It was hard to see the three go at the end of the night. I hope that we get to see them later in the week. My heart is growing. Praise the Lord our Father.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home